As of June 25, 2020, Protein Industries Canada will be accepting applications for Capacity Building projects. These projects should help create a competitive and sustainable business environment for Canada’s plant protein ecosystem.
This is a continual call, meaning there is no closing date for applications to be submitted. Project proponents may submit projects on a timeline that work for them and their organization. Applications will be bunched and reviewed on a regular basis, with the first review happening in early fall 2020.
It is strongly encouraged that projects proponents discuss their project ideas with the Protein Industries Canada team prior to starting the application process.
Protein Industries Canada is interested in receiving applications that are aligned with their
seven Capacity Building strategic priorities; projects need to demonstrate alignment with at least one priority. We are looking for projects that:
- Deliver value to the sector. We encourage proponents to create proposals that have the potential to be scaled up on a regional/national level.
- Meet our Capacity Building goals and outcomes, as outlined on our Capacity Building Program Guide Appendix.
- Bring transformational change to the agrifood sector, without duplicating existing efforts.
- Bring clear benefits to Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs).
- Consider the inclusion of Indigenous and other under-represented populations.
- Include an industry contribution. Protein Industries Canada will co-invest in projects from 40 to 70 per cent; the remainder must be invested by the consortium. Protein Industries Canada’s contribution is dependent on the scale and impact of the proposed project.
All projects must be submitted by a consortium consisting of at least two Protein Industries Canada members and follow the Program’s eligibility. Organizations eligible to apply include not-for-profits, post-secondary institutions, private companies and research facilities. Projects must demonstrate collaboration between organizations to leverage strengths, address gaps and build capacity in the sector. Collaborations between the private and public sector are encouraged.
For more information on how to submit an Expression of Interest or to become a member of Protein Industries Canada, contact us or visit the Capacity Building webpage.
A webinar providing an overview of the application process will take place on June 25, 2020 at 9:30 a.m. CST.