New School Foods
To incorporate pulses grown and processed in Canada into a first-of-its-kind seafood alternative.
The consortium used pulse concentrates and isolates to form the structural matrix of plant-based salmon. The pulse ingredients are sourced from western Canada and will be complemented by algae-based ingredients and vegan proteins to achieve nutrition, flavour and texture profiles analogous to salmon.
Results and Impact
- Developed a highly complex prototype of a plant-based salmon filet, using a proprietary food processing & texturizing technology that emulates salmon in look, taste, texture and cooking behaviour—no other companies have accomplished this, no less with a scalable production technology.
- Built a list of over 100 restaurants interested in working with New School Foods to garner feedback on prototypes and further ready the product for eventual commercialization in late 2023.
- Forecasted 19 kilotonnes of GHG reduction per year.
- Advanced toward the regulatory gap for plant-based seafood and precision fermentation in Canada.
- New School Foods was selected as a semifinalist in the XPRIZE's Feed the Next Billion Competition and secured $15 million CDN in additional venture capital and grant funding to build its first pilot 30,000 sq. ft facility.
- Liven Proteins transitioned from a fully R&D-focused company to a scalable ingredients company.
Jun 15, 2021New project to develop plant-based seafood lineProtein Industries Canada announced a co-investment with New School Foods and…
Jun 13, 2022How a plant-based seafood alternative is helping Canada reduce its carbon footprintChris Bryson didn’t found New School Foods because of a drive to create or…
Oct 11, 2022A new approach to animal-free protein ingredientsLiven Proteins has a unique approach to expanding the ingredients available to…