What We Do
Canada is a global leader in plant protein
Invest collaboratively to accelerate innovation and the competitiveness of the Canadian plant protein sector
Who We Are
Protein Industries Canada is an industry-led, not-for-profit organization created to position Canada as a global source of high-quality plant protein and plant-based co-products. We are one of Canada’s five Global Innovation Clusters.
Protein Industries Canada will work with private sector industry partners to create co-investment projects that have the potential to transform the agriculture and food production sector, allowing Canada to secure our position as a global leader in the production of plant-based products and co-products.
The goal of the Global Innovation Clusters is to challenge Canadian businesses to collaborate with other businesses, and post-secondary and research institutions to create projects that have the potential to transform the food processing sector in Canada, creating jobs and stimulating local economies.
Protein Industries Canada will work with companies to gain pathways to customers, markets and partnerships that they could not access on their own, thereby providing them with the opportunity to leverage their expertise and innovations with that of large and multinational enterprises, public sector organizations and academia.
Canada has an advantage in the fact that we produce unique, high-protein crops, specifically canola and pulses and we can quickly adapt and scale new high protein crops.
Our sustained advantage comes when we have continued access to the global market with products that come from these crops.
The Road to $25 Billion
A roadmap for Canada’s plant-based food, feed and ingredient ecosystem
By 2035, we need to grow the plant-based food, feed and ingredient sector to $25 billion and provide 10 per cent of the world’s plant-based food products.
The Road to $25 Billion was constructed based on the needs, capabilities and feedback of companies, organizations, academics and researchers across Canada.
This framework is meant to set direction for Canada’s plant-based ecosystem to ensure we are all on the same path.
By investing in the plant-based sector, together we will help address some of the world’s greatest challenges and support national priorities of a strong economy with benefits of a high-growth sector, while also supporting a healthy environment and healthy Canadians.
We are building a brand-new industry in Canada. This is an invitation to Canada’s agrifood sector to become a part of the journey.
The demand for plant-based food is increasing. Driven by a growing global population and an expanding middle class, combined with consumers choosing plant-based foods for health, environmental and animal welfare reasons, it is expected that by 2035 the annual global market will be worth upwards of more than $250 billion.
Canada has the potential—and is well on our way—of being a global leader in plant-based ingredients and finished food products. Building on our strength as an agricultural powerhouse; with more than 28 million hectares of arable land and a leading producer of high-protein crops such as peas and canola, we have opportunity to turn this global demand into a long-term, sustainable economic driver for Canada. In fact, at Protein Industries Canada, we believe that by 2035, Canada will provide 10 per cent of the plant-based ingredients to the world – a goal, that when achieved, will contribute upwards of $25 billion a year to Canada’s economy, supported by 17,000 jobs.
Over the next five years, Protein Industries Canada will work to achieve the following outcomes:
- Economic growth: we will support the prosperity of every Canadian by creating a reliable, sustainable, and long-term industry for Canada’s economy that will be worth $25 bllion by 2035 and will employ upwards of 17,000 Canadians from coast-to-coast.
- Reduce GHG emissions: we will decrease GHG reductions related to agriculture and food processing.
- Scaling Canadian companies: we will support Canadian companies to grow and be successful, achieving $25 billion in annual revenue from Canadian innovation and IP.
- Global impact: we will anchor Canada as a global force in the plant-based revolution – increasing recognition, investment, sales and leadership.
- Food security: we will contribute to domestic and international food security by building out an integrated and resilient value chain that allows Canada to make our own ingredients and food and export high-value, nutritious products to countries around the world.
- Economic reconciliation: we will support the prosperity of Indigenous people through meaningful partnerships and mutually beneficial opportunities that lead to shared prosperity.
Read our Five-Year Global Innovation Cluster StrategyEnglish French
Western Canada is already known as an agricultural powerhouse. With more than 28 million hectares of arable land, accounting for more than 85 per cent of Canada’s production base – Western Canada knows how to grow food and feed. And the demand for food is increasing.